Saturday, January 24, 2015

2015 - A Fresh Start

A new beginning for the Mendes Family

2014 was one hell of a year. I will get to that, but I feel like I should start blogging more up-to-date as to hopefully keep this blog more current. I don't run this blog because I feel like my life is so wonderfully exciting that everyone will want to read about it. I blog because my life is beautiful. I love looking back at the posts and seeing how fast Darius has grown into an amazing young man, the many things we've conquered  and experienced as a family, and how good looking Butch and I have remained after all these years. :)
2014 was a ridiculously trying year, most definitely the hardest year of my life. I may never divulge all of the details, but lets just say I am thankful for a new year and a fresh start. Butch's mother, Rita, came to live with us in the summer of 2014. She is a wonderful addition to our family. Having Rita and Darius around for Thanksgiving and Christmas felt great.

Anyone who knows us well knows that raising Darius has been the single hardest thing we've ever done. Mostly because his mother has 100% opposing viewpoints on every aspect of raising a child. It has been an uphill struggle, but Butch and I both refused to give up; however, we had accepted the fact that Darius was going to spend the rest of his childhood with his mother in Florida and we would continue to see him as frequently as possible and try to be positive roll models from across the country.

Darius surprised us all during Thanksgiving break 2014 when he told us he wanted to move to WA to live with us full time.

Thanksgiving 2014 spent with great friends in Vancouver, WA
Darius quickly integrating to the Pacific NW lifestyle playing soccer in the rain 
In December I started a new job with Kidder Mathews, a corporate real estate company in Portland. I adore this new job and love the people I work with.

Our front office at Kidder Mathews

Christmas was a struggle for me this year. I just couldn't get into the spirit. Christmas is my favorite time of the year, but this year just seemed like a mess. Again, 2014 was a tough year. Having Rita and Darius with us for Christmas definitely made a tough time seem more enjoyable.

My beautiful mother-in-law, Rita and I at her company Christmas party

We also received some really thoughtful gifts that made us smile. This is a handmade basket from friends we received this year for Christmas.
Darius arrived for Christmas. WOOHOO!
Much to our surprise Darius asked for a float as one of his  Christmas gifts.

We had a good time. It was a cool experience for him.

This is the float tank for those of you who aren't familiar with "floating."

Here is a informational link about the benefits of floating. Benefits of Floating Darius has a great time, but I don't think it's something he'll be doing regularly. He really just wanted to see what it's all about.

As I said before, Darius had already voiced his opinion about not wanting to live in Florida anymore. When it came time to return to Florida he straight refused to leave. He was headed down the wrong path in Florida and thankfully he decided for himself that he wants more out of life. He also wants the chance to know his father. What boy doesn't need his father? Darius really looks up to his dad and enjoys hanging out with him. We are all so excited Darius is full time with us now. He's truly flourishing since enrolling him in school and soccer. It took about .25 hours from him to adjust to his new school. He's a pretty awesome kid.

My boys, my loves, my heart.


Darius is a beast. We're so proud of him. He is working hard to develop his soccer skills.

Darius and I working on endurance for soccer. I love this kid so much.
Looking fly driving with G-ma's sunglasses. haha!
We recently attempted to go hiking as a family. The view from the top of the trail is suppose to be amazing. Unfortunately, we still don't know what the view from the top looks like. We are obviously not avid hikers because we didn't wear boots for the hike and ended up slipping and sliding all over the mountain. Areas of this particular trail lead to certain death should you fall off the trail so we opted for a family lunch instead. haha. We still had a great day together and plan to tackle this hike again in the future.



2015 is already looking up. I know 2015 is going to be a great year for our family. Maybe I should rename this post to "All things Darius."






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Please write something for me to read! :)