Saturday, February 23, 2013

Not your average anniversary

 8 Years!

Yesterday Butch and I celebrated our 8 year anniversary together. WOOHOOO! 

I was reminded yesterday of just how different we are from most other couples. We were lucky enough to spend our entire anniversary day together. However, we didn't spend the day being romantic. We spent the day standing together in the 45 degree weather while the rain poured down on us for 9 straight hours as we dug through the mud.

We spend quite a bit of money on water proof work gear as we try to be prepared to work outside in Washington wet weather. Yesterday our rain gear was put to the test and it FAILED. By the end of the day both of my rain coats had failed, all of Butch's gloves were useless and his pants were leaking through to some extent. This might help you grasp the amount of rain we endured all day. When in your life have you ever stood in the rain long enough to have not one, but two, high tech Cabela's rain coats stop working? Most likely the answer is never.

We rescued a snake together during the work day. This little guy was really, really cold. I'm not quite sure why he was moving about. We put him back in a small hole and covered him up. About an hour later we saw him trying to move around again. This time we made him a home. Butch took the shovel, dug a larger hole, made room for the snake so the dirt wouldn't squish him and we placed the little guy inside and we never saw him again. After the operation was finished I realized what a unique life we live together. It occurred to me just how strange our life together really is.

I'm going to go out on a limb when I say most couples don't work side by side together for 10 hours a day standing outside in the freezing rain, rescuing snakes and looking for bombs. Well, here's to us babe. I love you more than the everything and I love our perfectly different life together. Happy 8 Years love!

I look a like I've put on 30 pounds in this photo! That's because I was wearing an XL rain coat to get through the rest of the day. My rain coats were useless. My team leader took this photo and was sure to include the port-a-potty in the background, a landmark of all UXO work sites. :)

1 comment:

  1. I miss you guys! I'm happy that you two are so happy. You guys are always great to talk to and great people. (:

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please write something for me to read! :)